This is a great recipe for cube steak or tenderized round steak. Recipe serves 2.
- 1.5# pounds tenderized round steak or cube steak
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 cup butter
- Half can cream of mushroom soup
- Water (or milk)
PREP 45 mins
COOK 45 mins
- Remove most of the excess fat from the tenderized round steak and cut the steak into serving size pieces. If using round steak that is not tenderized, pound it with a tenderizing mallet.
- Mix the flour, salt, and pepper together in a shallow bowl.
- Heat about a tablespoon of the margarine in the skillet over medium to medium-high heat until sizzling.
- Dredge the steak pieces in the flour and place in the skillet. Only add enough pieces to cover the bottom without crowding.
- Cook until nicely browned on both sides. Remove from the skillet and place on a plate. Set them aside and fill the skillet with more steak pieces. Continue this process until all the pieces have been browned. You will have to add more margarine in between each batch and maybe a little just before turning each batch. You may end up needing a little more than a 1/4 cup of margarine.
- Once all the pieces have been browned, place all the browned steak pieces back in the skillet. Pieces will have to be layered.
- Spread the can of cream of mushroom soup over the top of the steak, cover, and heat until soup is bubbling around the edges. Then turn the heat down to a simmer and allow it to cook, covered, for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Once the steak is done, remove it from the pan, scraping off some of the soup from its surface back into the pan. Place the steak on a serving platter.
- Once the steak has been removed, add a little water (or milk) to the skillet, being careful not to add too much or it will thin the gravy too much. Mix it into the soup, scraping the sides and bottom to blend the flavorful piece into the gravy. Bring to a boil and then remove from the heat and pour into a serving bowl.
- Serve the gravy over mashed potatoes (homemade or instant), along with the tenderized round steak.
Recipe by Recipetips.com