Beef Stroganoff was always a favorite of mine growing up and now that I have my own kids I understand why it was a go to recipe for my mom. Just a little prep, fire up your slow cooker and dinner is served.
- 1# Beef Stew Meat (I cut the cubes in half, but not necessary)
- Alternate Cuts - Beef Fajita Meat or Sirloin cut into cubes or strips
- 8oz Sliced Mushrooms (pick your favorite)
- 2 Cups Beef Broth (for a creamier stroganoff us 1 cup beef broth and 1 can cream of mushroom soup)
- 4oz Sour Cream
- 1 Yellow Onion Halved and Sliced
- 1-2 Cloves Garlic Minced (Alternate -spring garlic or garlic powder)
- 2-3 TBSP grape seed or other high heat oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Optional Garnishes - Green Onions, Chives, Parsley
- Liberally sprinkle meat with salt and pepper
- Heat Cast Iron or heavy skillet over high heat with oil until almost smoking
- Sear Meat for 30-60 seconds per side just to brown
- Add Meat to crockpot that is set to high
- Reduce skillet to medium heat (add more oil if necessary)
- Add onion and garlic to skillet you seared meat in and cook for 2-3 minutes until onions begin to soften
- Pour beef stock (cream of mushroom if using this variation) into skillet with onions and deglaze pan by stirring and scraping bottom of skillet.
- Carefully pour onions and broth into crock pot with meat
- Add sour cream to crockpot and stir until mixed
- Leave crockpot on high for between 4-5 hours (check every hour or so to make sure liquid doesn't dry up and to give everything a stir - just add more broth or water if necessary).
- Cook rice or egg pasta (choose a wide noodle)
- Ladle Beef Stroganoff over rice or pasta
- Garnish and Enjoy