Who knew making delicious gyros was literally as easy as making a meatloaf. Here is a super simple recipe that will have you looking like a hero with friends and family. Opa!!!
- 1LB Ground Lamb
- 3-4 Slices of Bacon - Roughly Chopped
- 2 tbsp Fresh Oregano (Greek Preferred)
- 1/2 Yellow Onion - Roughly Chopped
- 1 Clove Garlic- Chopped or sliced
- 2 tsp salt (kosher or sea)
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Combine Lamb, Oregano, Salt and Pepper in mixing bowl. Mix until all ingredients incorporated. Cover and refrigerate 1hr or up to 24 hours
- Preheat Oven to 325-350 degrees
- Put refrigerated lamb mixture in food processor with onion, garlic and bacon. Run processor until ingredients have formed a puree (~1min). If necessary stop processor and scrape sides to ensure all ingredients get fully incorporated.
- Line baking sheet with foil or baking mat and scoop the pureed lamb mixture on center of sheet. I prefer to use plastic wrap to help form the loaf, but you can also use moistened hands to form the loaf. Shape the loaf into a rectangle about 8" Long by 4-5" Wide by 1-1.5" Thick.
- Bake for roughly 30 minutes or until loaf reaches 150 degrees
- Remove and let loaf rest for 15+ minutes
- Slice loaf into roughly 1/4" slices and put back on baking sheet (good idea to usa a fresh sheet of foil)
- Move oven rack to highest position and turn on broiler
- Broil each side of sliced gyro meat for ~2 minutes until edges just start to show browning
- Serve Gyro meat on Pitas with sliced onions, tomatoes and tzatziki sauce or with Rice (see Greek Rice Recipe)
- Alternative for Paleo Diets - Paleo Tzatsiki