We don't like wasting food, so hears a great way to use almost the entire beet all in one recipe.
1 bunch red or chioggia beets with greens attached
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees .
- Cut the greens from the beets by slicing the top off the beet and cut off the root tip
- Cut off stems from the leaves and compost or discard stems (Note: you can cook the stems by cutting them into inch long pieces and sauteing them for about 10 minutes prior to adding the leaves, but be aware they can be a bit fibrous)
- Slice the beet greens into about 1" slices and set aside
- Toss beets in 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Roast the whole beets stem side down on a baking sheet or wrap individually in foil for 45-60 minutes or until tender.
- Peel and slice the beets into bite sized pieces or slices when they are cool enough to handle.
- In a large skillet, cook the greens in 1 Tbsp hot oil until barely wilted, roughly 1 minute.
- Mix in the sliced beets; drizzle with vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Optional: Crumble goat cheese over beet salad
Image courtesy of: Once Upon a Chef