Italian sausage and peppers—it doesn’t get any more iconic than this sweet and spicy dish bursting with summer vegetables and juicy Italian sausage. Perfect for big family get togethers or potlucks; slice up some crusty bread and everyone can dish up their own, just the way they like it.
This recipe is from Culinary Hill
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
- 6 (4 ounce) sweet Italian sausage links
- 2 yellow onions thinly sliced
- 1 large green pepper thinly sliced
- 1 large red pepper thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 Hoagie rolls split, for serving
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add oil and heat until shimmering. Add sausages and cook until browned on all sides (sausages will not be fully cooked), about 5 minutes.
Transfer to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, slice into 1-to-2 inch pieces.
Reduce heat to medium. To the skillet, add onions and peppers. Cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Return sliced sausage to pan. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes (if using). Bring to a simmer and cook until sausage is cooked through and sauce has thickened, about 5 to 10 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve on rolls if desired.