One of my favorite recipes due to its simplicity and quick preparation time.
Steak - ~1lb Grass-fed filet, ribeye, sirloin, sirloin tip, new york strip, flat iron or any other steak cut.
- Salt and Pepper to season steak
- 1Tbsp high heat oil if cooking steak in pan (grape seed is my preference)
- 4 Buns - Pretzel, Kaiser, Ciabatta or your favorite roll
- Mustard or Mayo or Aioli
- 1 Medium to Large Yellow Onion Sliced thinly
- 1-2 Tbsp of Butter
- Cook steak to desired temperature
- For Methods of Prepping, Cooking and Finishing the Steak see "Cooking the Perfect Steak" blog post.
- After steak is rested slice across the grain into about 1/4 inch thick slices
- Toast the buns and add 3-4 slices of steak per bun.
- Serve with a good mustard (horseradish, stone ground, dijon, etc). Can also serve with mayo, aioli or if you must steak sauce :(
- Caramelized Onions (this takes roughly 45 min so start first)
- Melt butter in medium frying pan
- Add sliced onions and stir occasionally until they reach a deep golden brown color
- Add salt to taste
- Serve on top of steak in sandwich
- Optionally and for a much faster preparation you can just saute the sliced onions in butter or olive oil until soft.